K-12 and community programs
Examples of the Kontras Quartet's 40-minute presentations for younger audiences:
all made of stories
- Music is an art that can be appreciated on its own, but the impact it makes increases when we remember the stories that surround it: how the composers lived, what emotions live in the sound of the music, and what it means to us when we hear it. Some music has a specific story it depicts; some music does not. This program explores both kinds of music, and puts the music into the context of the composers' lives through the sharing of their stories.
THE SPORT OF MUSIC
- This invigorating program is designed to show our young audiences that there isn't much difference between their beloved sports and the inner workings of a string quartet. Listeners will learn that it takes teamwork, athleticism, competition, stamina, and a whole lot of fun to play music together, just like players on a soccer team.
AROUND THE WORLD
- Join us as we venture on a musical journey. The program starts out with traditional quartet repertoire, demonstrating the genre and explaining each instrument's role in the quartet. From there, we launch into a world tour of music demonstrating traditional styles of American, Asian, Russian and African music.
"Thank you to the Kontras Quartet for the wonderful, engaging concert. They were so friendly and generous with their time. Kontras introduced the instruments that make up a string quartet in a way that was informative and fun, and the song selection was excellent and accessible for a young audience. A perfect introduction to classical music!"
Carole Dennis, Children's Librarian - Ridgeview Public Library, NC
MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL
The Kontras Quartet can work with your school's students in a variety of ways:
- We offer presentations that are part performance, part discussion, featuring longer selections and a focus on the historical, literary, or social context.
Coaching and lessons
- Coaching string ensembles, orchestras, or sectionals
- Individual lessons
- College audition preparation
- Sitting in with the orchestra in rehearsal or in concert
- Performing a string quartet for the class and discussing the music
conversations with students
For students who are seriously considering studying music in college, we can facilitate discussions on various topics, such as:
- How to fit practicing into your busy schedule
- How to choose a school
- How to find a teacher who is the right match
- How to mentally prepare for an audition
- What to expect from a serious musical education
"What can you expect when Kontras comes to your school? You can expect fully engaged students, no matter their age. You can expect collegial and genuine interaction between the quartet and your ensemble members. You can expect students to raise their standards and surprise themselves with what they've accomplished. I have watched Kontras perform rug concerts for preschool students, worked with them for several years at a chamber music seminar, and written a grant for a series of workshops with my high school orchestra. In every setting, Kontras were tremendous ambassadors not only for music but for working with passion and commitment in any endeavor."
- Sally Ross, Orchestra Director at Northview Middle and Hickory High School, NC
The Kontras Quartet loves meeting and performing for communities who may not be able to attend one of our formal recitals. Whether working with at-risk youth, popping up at your local brewery, or delivering Silver Serenades for our elderly friends, Kontras offers a variety of programs to enrich the cultural landscape of your community.